Sunday

Thai Chicken with Basil- Gkai Pad Gkaprow

In Novemeber, I decided that I would try and post recipes from the seven continents. We have gone to South America(Arroz Con Pollo), North America (Chili with Turkey ) and now its time for Asia. One of my favorite cuisine Thai. A dear friend of mine AA loves Thai food a lot. So this is special gift to you from me . Enjoy.........................................................
Thai cuisine is characterised by five fundamentals flavours hot (spicy), sour, sweet, salty and bitter (optional). Gkai Pad Gkaprow or Basil Chicken is classic example of using this fundamentals. Brown sugar gives the sweetness, Thai chillies provide the heat, soy sauce the salt, fish sauce the bitter , lemon grass the sour.

"This recipe is for one of the favorite dishes of the Thai people. They will make Basil Anything – substitute the chicken with pork, beef, squid, shrimp, seafood, . . . anything you like. This dish is often served at breakfast with a deep-fried egg, sunnyside up, on top. One of our particular favorites is to make it with ground pork and lots of Thai chillies. For pork, make sure you use holy basil (Bai Gkaprow), as it goes especially well with pork. " *

This is a recipe adapted from Good house Keeping Reciepe book. I added lemon grass to the recipe.


Ingredients
1 lb boneless chicken
3 tbs Asian Fish Sauce
1 tbs Soy sauce
1 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp vegetable Oil
1 Large onion cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
3 Thai chilli pepers or 2 serrano peppers cut matchstick strips
2 tsp minced ginger
2 crushed garlic
1 1/2 cup Basil leaves
1/2 cup lemon grass


Preparing the chicken :
Cut chicken into strip holding the knife in slanting position. In a medium bowl , combine fish sauce , brown sugar, soy sauce . Add chicken and marinate it for 30 minutes or maximum up to 1 day. In a nonstick pan heat oil in medium high till oil is hot. Add the marinade and chicken and cook stirring frequently until chicken loses its pink color. (approx 3 -4 minutes). With a slotted spoon remove the chicken and keep aside. Now add the onion and stir fry for 4 minutes. Stir in chilies , ginger, and garlic cook for a minute. Return the chicken to skillet, heat through. Stir in basil and lemon grass and serve.

This recipe was even more tasty as I used Basil and lemon grass from my garden and Thai chillies from my neighbors plant. I wish my neighbour had a chicken farm too,then it would have been easy. The dish I served it in is my own creation too. Yes I made the serving dish . Not a masterpiece though but I did it.
Basil
Thai Chilies

Lemon Grass


This is my contribution to the event GYO hosted by Andrea.

Serving suggestion - Rice as I did or mix in some greens as a Salad.

Facts about Lemongrass

Usually the tender white part of the lemongrass stalk is used for adding to dishes, but the remainder can be used for stocks or infusions or even dried to use in potpourri and tea. So, don't waste any part of it! Some cooks will grind the stalks and use this for seasoning. Or you can treat it more like bay leaf and leave it in larger pieces that can be removed before serving. Try tying several blades together with cooking string and place them on top of fish as you are grilling, baking or broiling. Another neat thing to do is to take a few of the blades, tie them together and pound them with a meat tenderizer to bruise them, then use them as a brush to baste meat or seafood as you grill. Lemongrass is a great herb to use with chicken. **

Alternatives are: Lemon zest with small amounts of fresh ginger. Approximately 1/2 Tbsp. combination total for 1 lemon grass stalk. A few leaves of lemon balm or lemon leaves. Approximately 2 leaves for 1 lemon grass stalk.Sometimes zest of lemons in place of lemon grass - 1/2 tsp for each 3” of lemon grass stalk base.

There is no perfect substitution for fish sauce. However, if you do not have fish sauce available you can substitute with soy sauce; although the flavor will not be as robust.If you cannot locate this, you can substitute a light soy sauce or rice vinegar with a little extra salt added.

* courtesy http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/recipes/baschi.html
** courtesy http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/lemongrass2.html

15 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

heheheh...hope you get a neighbor with poultry farm too :) I havent tried my hands much on thai cuisine, except for a pad thai.....and i love thai food...u re publishing so many interesting recipes, i dont know when i can try all that!

so tell me how u made that serving bowl..? :)

Sig said...

That is a great idea, cook a dish from each of the seven continents :) I love Thai food , nice recipe!

Asha said...

Beautiful dish! Basil plant looks great Mocha, good for you!:))

Mocha said...


Shn: This is easy recipe. Whole thing is under 30 minutes. The original recipe called for 10 minutes marination. I took a pottery 101 class. We made a lot of bowls , glazed it and fired it . Dish is one of attempts .

Sig:
OK I am still hunting for recipes from antartica . ANy suggestions?

Asha:
I love my Basil plant.

Happy cook said...

I love most of the tahi dishes, the onlt thing i dislike when i cook thai food is adding the fish sauce. I never add them can't stand the smell and the flavour, i know not adding is changing the flavour, but what is the use if i add and i don't eat the dish i made

bee said...

lovely. we've been cooking and eating a lot of thai recently.

bee said...

lovely. we've been cooking and eating a lot of thai recently.

Kribha said...

I love thai food. Your bowl of thai chicken with basil looks absolutely yum. Serving dish looks great too.

Seena said...

Mocha, Nowadays can't visit and comment in many blogs..just now saw the letter to vegetarians post, but couldn't find it here to comment..!
dal is enough for rice and roti..
don't cook much for vegetarians, next time...:D, my usual method is making our kerala chammanthis as side dish, and every one loves it!

c u..

Cynthia said...

I'm a big fan of Thai cuisine also. Your dish sounds very delicious.

Mocha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mocha said...

Bee : try it and let me know. I was sceptic about this recipe since it said brwon sugar. But i decided to take chance and it tasted good.
Kribha:
My loyal reader. Thanks for the compliment. You dont know how much each comment helps me to keep this space alive. The dish is not that greta. but I hang to it becuse it is something I made. Made beautiful ones later but had to quit the class in the middle hence couldnt collect it.

Seena: That post was in draft for God knows how long. Accidently published it. When comments started coming to mjy mail box thats when I realised the mistake and took it off. I never thought of chammathy till now.good idea

Cynthia: This dish as I said before, made a sceptic like me believe in following recipes.I wanted to omit brown sugar but decided to follow recipe and it turned to be great

Lissie said...

mocha, i love thai food. your chicken dish sounds great!

Andrea said...

I love to cook with lemon grass and I used to have a plant on my porch. I'll have to try to find a plant this spring because I have missed it. Thanks for a delicious entry for Grow Your Own!

Gay Carrillo said...

Oh wow, I love Thai food. Can't get enough of them. There are two Thai restos near where I live and I eat there frequently. My hobby is to make copycat of dishes I like from them. Reading about basil and chilis is making me crave for them right now!