Friday

Chola Batura - Punjabi Fried bread with Garbanzo beans



The deafening sirens warned the residents to run to bunkers below, the fighter planes were hovering in the dark skies , and there was fear in the face of people . There she was holding on to her husband and a year old baby in the faraway land hoping that the Pakistani bombs would miss the target of the major railway network near her house in Sharanpur, in outskirts of Delhi. It was the India Pakistan war of 1971.It was here, during one most difficult times of her life that she leaned Mrs Gupta and other elderly woman and took solace in learning cooking in North Indian home cooked meals and learning to crochet and knit.

My mom. She came from a small town in Kerala. After marriage she left with her husband to settle in North India. I really wonder what would it have been for her to be so far away from the family with no knowledge of Hindi . Imagine the technology back then . Forget emails and web came was there even proper phone lines.
Her cuisine even now,37 years later , is based on foundations she learned then . On my visits to India one of favorite past times is to rummage to torn recipes books reading her favorite recipes. She doesn't have any measurements written down so it interesting to read recipes .
She is known for her Chola batura she learned from one of her neighbours in Sharanpur. After a 0lot of coaxing she wrote this for me with real measurements and not a pinch of this and pinch of that. This is one of my favorite recipes. My moms chola batura.

Batura:
1 kg Maida(All purpose flour)
Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 1 tsp
salt - a pinch
curd - 1/2 cup
Milk as needed for kneading
Oil to deep fry
Mix all ingredients and knead for 10 minutes. Cover it with a wet cloth and leave it for 4 hours. After 4 hours divide the dough into small balls. Now roll the dough in circles of about 8" in diameter. Heat oil in pan. When oil is hot fry batura till both sides are cooked(approx 3 mins each side). If you use the laddle and try to keep batura submerged in oil, the batura will puff up. Paper towel is useful in absorbing oil. 6 cup of Maida will approximately make 40 baturas.
Chola:

1 cup of Garbanzo beans soaked and cooked(1 1/2 of can beans)
2 tsp Jeera(Cumin seeds)
1 small onion chopped
1 tsp Pepper
1" ginger
1-2 green chillies( depending on how hot you want)
1/2 tsp chilly powder
2 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tsp sugar
salt as need
handful of chopped coriander leaf

Grind 1tsp jeera, pepper, ginger , green chillies and chilly powder. Heat oil in a pan. Add a tsp of jeera. Saute onion till golden brown. Add the ground masala and fry it for minute. Now add the garbanzo beans , tamarind pulp , sugar and enough water to cover the beans. Simmer and cook till gravy thickens. Add salt and mix in coriander leaves and serve it. This masala is real home cooked type. My mom didn't give me exact measurements. It is after 10 years of various permutations and combination I came up with this proportion. I firmly suggest cooks to modify as per their taste buds.

20 comments:

Pooja V said...

I loved the idea of adding some sugar and adding curd. Loved the dish.

Rajitha said...

mocha..same here i love reading my mom's old recipe books..it is fun..that chole bahture look delicious!! Happy Holidays :)

KayKat said...

It is pretty cool how a pinch of sweetness adds a whole new dimension, huh? I usually use jaggery :)

bhags said...

Hi Mocha (nice name...:))
My first time here, nice blog you have got here, love your recipes...:)

Delicious looking chola-bhatura....

C u around

Cynthia said...

Oh this is such a revelation! That is a Punjabi fried bread, we make a similar bread but call it fried bake :)

Happy new year to you and the family.

Sagari said...

those batura's look soo gooddd I can taste them from the pic

Mocha said...


Thanks Pooja. Give it a try


rajitha: Evn though late thanks for wishes and happy New year.

Kayat: I usually stay away from sugar but this is and exception.

Thanks bhags. Yeah i am lazy blogger who blogs randomly. I love food and that is why I am here.

cynthia:
I happen to see a program on Tv about this fried bake. the host said it is one the best sandwich he has had.

sagari:
It is good. Exceptioonally you have wait a long time to eat the one your mom makes.

bhags said...

hi mocha,
bout the kite runner....its a pretty good novel....heartwarming and heartwrenching at the same time.....read it on a lazy afternoon cuddled in the bed with a hot cup of coffee and ull enjoy it

Asha said...

Beautiful looking Baturas, I made last week too.I love the combo Mocha. Good to see you after a long week. I took 2-3 weeks break too, just came back last week!
Happy new year to you and family!:)

vimmi said...

I can imagine how ur mom must have felt being in a new city, and with the war going on. My mamaji was a fighter pilot who fought in that war, so mom sometimes rememebrs those horrible days. But great that there was such a positive outcome to it for ur mom. lovely chola bhaturas

zlamushka said...

It is amazing how many memories one keeps behind certain dishes. I love the chickpea "dip".

flyingstars said...

Yummy....we have tasted it so many times and this recipe is quite mouth-watering & lovely reading the description too!

Hetal said...

Chhole Bhatura looks delicious,love it!!u have a nice blog here.Would love to see u on my blog!!!

Sangeeth said...

my all time fav....:) your pics make me drool

Punjabi recipes said...

This is nice blog to visit,you have done a good job and your representation very effective. Recipes is simple, healthy and yet has its own fascination.

SriLekha said...

wow! am drooling over the batura!

Malar Gandhi said...

Chole is inviting me...looks too good.

Wow love the that X-mass cake too, nice picture, dear.

Is it the first time I am visiting ur site? Oh then I missed a lot, I guess...

Hari Chandana said...

Hi... I am a new blogger... nice clicks..looks yummyyy.. thank you!!

Earn Staying Home said...

Very good recipe.

Earn Staying Home said...

Very good recipe.